(Sept. 24/17) On September 12, the City of Vancouver released a consultation paper entitled “Creating a Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy for Disposable Cups, Take-out Containers and Shopping Bags”. The paper outlines potential approaches that City of Vancouver staff are considering to address the distribution, use and recycling of commonly used single use items in Vancouver. To view the consultation paper online, visit, vancouver.ca/zerowaste.
The purpose of the consultation paper is to provide information and seek feedback on potential approaches and targets under consideration for a draft Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy that staff will present to Vancouver City Council in early 2018. The paper is part of a consultation process that will also include roundtable meetings with stakeholders in fall 2017.
Three roundtables meetings have been arranged for Restaurants Canada members with businesses in Vancouver that provide customers with single use take out packaging, including two local Vancouver roundtable meetings as well as a Toronto-based roundtable for Restaurants Canada members who are based in Toronto with locations in Vancouver. At these meetings we will discuss the emerging approaches outlined in the consultation paper and provide feedback to help inform the draft Single Use Item Reduction Strategy.
- September 26, 9-11 am – Restaurants Canada office, 1155 Queen Street West, Toronto
- October 4, 8-10 am – Creekside Community Centre, 1 Athletes Way, Vancouver
- October 11, 1-3 pm – Creekside Community Centre, 1 Athletes Way, Vancouver
To register for one of these roundtable meetings, please contact Mark von Schellwitz at email@example.com.
You can submit feedback directly to the City of Vancouver:
- Online comment form
- By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Mail: City of Vancouver – Single-Use Item Reduction Strategy Consultation, 453 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Y 1V4
- Consultation feedback will be accepted until December 15, 2017.
If you have any questions about the consultation process or would like some further information, please contact Restaurants Canada’s Vice President, Western Canada Mark von Schellwitz at email@example.com or directly to the City of Vancouver’s Single-Use Item Reduction Team at ReduceSingleUse@vancouver.ca.