To raise awareness and increase compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations, Ontario’s Ministry of Labour is conducting a province-wide inspection initiative focusing on new and young workers from July 15 – August 30, 2019.
Ministry inspectors will focus inspections in:
- food, beverage and tobacco
- tourism, hospitality and recreational services
Inspectors will focus on workplaces that are newly registered with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and haven’t had a proactive health and safety visit in the last five years.
To help employers across the province prepare, Workplace Safety & Prevention Services has created a free digital New and Young Worker Safety Tool Kit with resources to keep new and young workers safe.
What’s inside the Tool Kit:
- WSPS & MOL New and Young Worker Webinar — video and slides (from May 31, 2019)
- Job aids to help build awareness
- Information sheets on orientation and training, and supervisor competencies
- Awareness poster focusing on young workers
- Video on effective supervisors
- Link to Bring Safety Home — This site provides free resources to help start the conversation with young people about the importance of safety in the workplace
Further information on workplace inspection initiatives in Ontario can be found on the Ministry of Labour’s website.
If you have any questions or would like more information, you can get in touch with James Rilett, Restaurants Canada Vice President, Central Canada, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-387-5649 ext. 4241.