(Oct. 20/16) This week, we hosted our annual federal Day on the Hill in Ottawa, one of our biggest events of the year. This is our chance to share your concerns and issues with key Members of Parliament who make the rules that affect your business.
For 2016, our theme was all about partnership – partnering with the government to grow tourism, the economy and youth jobs. Here are some of the things we asked the decision makers to do:
• create a youth hires tax credit in the Employment Insurance program;
• put a cap on credit card acceptance fees;
• cut the small business tax rate from 10.5% to 9%;
• remove inter-provincial trade barriers on beer, wine and spirits;
• take a collaborative approach to set sodium reduction targets;
• collaborate with our industry and the tourism industry on workforce development initiatives; and
• make the foreign worker program a pathway to permanent residency.
See the issue sheets we shared with MPs and Ministers. (Login required.)
Minister of Small Business and Tourism Bardish Chagger commended our industry’s role in growing tourism. Read her welcome letter.
Telling your story
Making sure the government knows our industry’s story is vital: the people and places behind our 1.2 million jobs; $75-billion a year in economic activity; and 94,000 locations in communities across Canada.
See some of the stories we proudly shared at this year’s Day on the Hill.
Add your voice! Tell us about the issues that matter to you. E-mail us or call us at 1-800-387-5649, ext. 4225.
TOP PHOTO: Restaurants Canada presented Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with a chef jacket on Oct. 18, 2016. Welcome to the industry, Prime Minister Trudeau!