Faced with labour shortages? You may be eligible to continue hiring temporary foreign workers (TFWs) for up to 20% of your workforce, thanks to a recent announcement by Employment, Workforce Development and Labour Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk.
Depending on when you first used the program, you may be exempt from the cap reduction for hiring lower-wage TFWs:
- If you used the TFW program before June 20, 2014 when the caps were introduced, you may continue to use the 20% cap (or your current level, whichever is lower).
- If you hired TFWs for the first time after June 20, 2014, you will be subject to the 10% cap.
Restaurants Canada presented our recommendations for the program to officials in the minister’s office earlier this month:
- More transparency in how the program is administered,
- Greater access to the program when no other options exist, and
- Making the program a pathway to permanent residency.
The minister has promised additional reforms to the TFW program later this year.
Restaurants Canada members: Questions about the TFW program? Please contact Paul McKay on our Member Services team at 1-800-387-5649 ext. 4225 or email@example.com
Not a member? Join online now, or call our membership team at 1-800-387-5649.
We’re stronger together!